Outlook Express Setup for Windows
- Click Start, then click on Programs. Note that if you have Windows XP you may not see Programs instead click on ‘All Programs’, which is just above Start. Scroll through the list, then find and click on Outlook Express. In most cases, you will see the following screen, below; if you do not, simply:
- Click on the Tools menu at the top of your screen and a menu will appear.
- Click on Accounts–this will bring up the Internet Accounts Window
- Click the tab called ‘Mail’ in this window.
- Click the Add button to the right and a little menu will appear.
- In this menu click on ‘Mail’. You will now see the screen, below.
- Type YOUR full name in the white box.
- Click NEXT
- Type your new e-mail address in the white box. (All lower case)
NOTE: To insert the @ sign hold down the shift key on your keyboard and hit the number 2 key.
- Click NEXT
- Incoming mail server is a POP3 server
- Type in mail.goldrush.com in the “incoming mail server” box
- Type in smtp.goldrush.com in the “outgoing SMTP server” box
- Click NEXT
- Type your username in the white box next to “Account name” (example: email@example.com User name would be “support”)
- Type in your password in the second white box.
- If you want to save the password so you don’t have to enter it in the future, check the box that says ‘Remember Password’.
- Do NOT check Log on using Secure Password Authentication (SPA)
- Click NEXT, then FINISH. You are done!
Trouble Shooting Outlook Express
If you ever want to check your settings in Outlook Express then you would want to click on ‘Tools’ at the top and then go to ‘Accounts’; you will see “mail.mlode.com” listed in the white box whatever your account name is set for. Over to the right you will want to click on the ‘Properties’ button to change or edit the settings.
After you click on the ‘Properties’ button then you will get a screen that allows you to change or edit the settings for your e-mail account. In the ‘Name’ line you should have the name of the person that is going to be using the e-mail address that has been setup. Then, you will see a line that says ‘e-mail address’. On this line is where you type your e-mail address. In the ‘Reply to address’ section, leave that blank unless you prefer that when people click ‘Reply’ to a message you’ve sent them, you want that reply to go to a different e-mail address.
- On the “servers” tab is where you can edit the incoming and outgoing mail server settings, and also the account name and password.
- If you are an Mlode customer, for the incoming and outgoing mail servers you should have “mail.mlode.com”.
- The account name is the first half of your email address or the information before the @ sign.
- The password should be what you gave us when you setup your account. Contact us if you’re unsure.
- You will also see an option that says “logon using secure password authentication” that option should not be checked. The final option you should not have checked is “My server requires authentication”
- On the “security” tab are your encryption options for Outlook Express.
- These options will not need to be used or adjusted.
- DO NOT play with these settings unless you know what you are doing.
On the ‘Advanced’ tab are the options for controlling how long it take for Outlook Express to give up when trying to download e-mail. You can also set options to leave your message on the mail server when you are downloading e-mail. This option is good if you check the same e-mail address from more than 1 computer. Remember if you download your e-mail with this option off it will delete them off of our server as you receive them and will only reside on your computer.
Lastly, click ‘OK’ and you’re done!